Dear interested parent,
Thank you for your interest in Suzuki piano!
A loving, nurturing and supportive environment is the foundation of the Suzuki method.
Since I first sought out training in the Suzuki method, I have been deeply gratified to be able to pass on the gift and joy of making music to my students and their families.
Even after a lifetime of immersion in music, both in my childhood home, at music school, and as a professional musician such as I have had (I am happy to forward my resume on request!), being able to teach well is not guaranteed.
I am very pleased to observe, after eleven years, and more to come, of dedicated teacher-training, that my students are playing beautifully, by ear, by reading,and in ensembles. Most importantly, I am gratified to observe that their overall their experience is joyful. I hope that you and your child can be a part of this experience.
Just listen to what we can do together!
It has taken me years to develop a method for introducing students to the Suzuki Method; it is very rewarding and well worth the investment of your time. This process educates both the parent and child thoroughly, so that when your child begins lessons, he experiences success, excellence, and joy from the very beginning. To get the best possible start in piano and ensure success for your child I require the following:
2. Enroll in my 10-week Fall or Spring Suzuki Piano Immersion and Introductory Class. Book and CD included. Cost: $250.
3. After you and your child have completed the Suzuki Piano Immersion and Introductory Class, you will be eligible to enroll for lessons. Enrollment is a 45 minute session in which we discuss your and your child's experience so far, (child does not attend), I answer any questions you have, and we go over the studio policy and other handouts together. Cost: $40.
To learn more about the dates for the immersion program, as well as to access a repository of all the documents referenced above, please click here.
During the school year, I schedule lessons at a regular time each week for individual instruction as well as for group lessons. I also conduct all-studio lessons on Fridays about 5 times a year. There are also 5-6 recitals a year.
If your child is sick during the school year, please do not hesitate to cancel. This is in everyone’s best interest and the lesson can be rescheduled. Absense for other reasons is not refundable; however, you may trade times with any other student to make up for lost lessons. All of this information is included in my studio policy.
Group duos are suspended for the summer - except if you expressly request a summer duo - so that I can work with the children individually on their reading, theory, rhythm and solfa skills. Therefore in place of group duo, you receive 10 extra minutes. Sometimes I use the extra time to just chat with your child about how his summer is going. It is a very nice break from the more formalized lessons during the school year! More information about about summer is in my summer fees and fact sheet.
Please put these events for the 2019-2020 school year on your calendar!
- October 20 Fall Recital 2:00 PM (Sanctuary)
- December 7 Musical Open House K-8 Drop In / Potluck 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM (Music Room)
- February 1 Book 2-3 Students Rehearsal for Duets Recital 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Music Room)
- February 15 Duets Recital 11:00 AM (Music Room)
- May 2 Spring Recital 11:00 AM (Sanctuary) ... step outside afterwards to the pre-school Spring fair with adorable petting zoo!
- 2 Celebrating Collaboration House Concerts. All Teens & Adults, Book 2 and higher should attend. Dates/times TBA. These concerts will benefit:
- Hospice of Santa Cruz
- Music in May
K-6 All Studio Classes in 2019-2020 on Saturdays, 10-11 AM:
- September 7
- October 5
- November 23
- January 18
- March 7
- April 18
- May 30 Last Potluck / Celebration
Studio Closures for 2019-2020:
- November 25-30
- December 21-January 3
- April 5-12
- May 21-26 (Kate will be at the Suzuki Biennial Conference - lessons will be pre-made up)
Note that Reading Club and Makeup dates are also available for: September 7, October 5, November 2, November 23, December 7, January 4, February 1, March 7, April 18, June 6
- Haydn's Book 2 June 15, 1-1:30 PUCC Sanctuary
- May 19 Eli's Mozart Clarinet Concerto with Santa Cruz Youth Symphony 7PM (Peace UCC Sanctuary)
- May 4 Kate Collaborating in Concert for 'Music in May’ Evening for adults and teens: Featuring Peter Jandula-Hudson, viola, and Shannon Delaney D'Antonio, violin, collaborating with Kate Alm, piano, with selections from Schubert, Franck, Saint-Saens and others.
- April 27 Studio Recital 2PM (Sanctuary)
- February 16 Tony's Book 1 and K-6 Duets Recital 11AM (Music Room)
- February 9 Carnival of the Animals Duets Recital 4PM (West Side Santa Cruz House Concert). Benefits UCSC's Shakespeare to Go, donations accepted.
- Studio Open for Initial Observations for Prospective Families January 24 - February 4 (contact Kate)
- December 15, 2018 Musical Open House (Music Room)
- October 21, 2018 Studio Recital 2PM (Sanctuary)
I offer many many opportunities for us to connect as a community of adults and children learning and appreciating music! For more information about these programs, which include reading club and student-to-student mentoring, please click here.