Dear interested parent,
Thank you for your interest in Suzuki piano!
A loving, nurturing and supportive environment is the foundation of the Suzuki method.
Just listen to what we can do together!
Please put these events for the 2019-2020 school year on your calendar!
- October 20 Fall Recital 2:00 PM (Sanctuary)
- November 23 Music in May Benefit Chamber Concert - Doors Open 7 PM (West Side Location)
- December 7 Musical Open House K-8 Drop In / Potluck 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM (Music Room)
- February 1 Book 2-3 Students Rehearsal for Duets Recital 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Music Room)
- February 8 Evening of Poetry and Song benefiting Hospice Santa Cruz - Doors Open 7 PM (West Side Location)
- February 15 Duets Recital 11:00 AM (Music Room)
- May 2 Spring Recital 11:00 AM (Sanctuary) ... step outside afterwards to the pre-school Spring fair with adorable petting zoo!
- 2 Celebrating Collaboration House Concerts. All Teens & Adults, Book 2 and higher should attend, November 23 and February 8. These concerts will benefit:
- Hospice of Santa Cruz
- Music in May
K-6 All Studio Classes in 2019-2020 on Saturdays:
Group A 9-10 & Group B 9:45 - 10:45:
- September 7 (10-11 all students)
- October 5
- November 23
- January 18
- March 7
- April 18
- May 30 Last Potluck / Celebration (10-11 all students)
Studio Closures for 2019-2020:
- November 25-30
- December 21-January 3
- April 5-12
- May 21-26 (Kate will be at the Suzuki Biennial Conference - lessons will be pre-made up)
Note that Reading Club and Makeup dates are also available for: September 7, October 5, November 2, November 23, December 7, January 4, February 1, March 7, April 18, June 6
It has taken me years to develop a method for introducing students to the Suzuki Method; it is very rewarding and well worth the investment of your time. This process educates both the parent and child thoroughly, so that when your child begins lessons, he experiences success, excellence, and joy from the very beginning. To get the best possible start in piano and ensure success for your child I require the following:
- Sign up to observe a private and group lesson; schedule a 30 minute consultation with me. Receive and read studio policy and observation etiquette handout. There is no cost for this.
- Enroll in my 10-week Fall or Spring Suzuki Piano Immersion and Introductory Class. Book and CD included. Cost: $250.
- After you and your child have completed the Suzuki Piano Immersion and Introductory Class, you will be eligible to enroll for lessons. Enrollment is a 45 minute session in which we discuss your and your child's experience so far, (child does not attend), I answer any questions you have, and we go over the studio policy and other handouts together. Cost: $40.
To learn more about the dates for the immersion program, as well as to access a repository of all the documents referenced above, please click here.
During the school year, I schedule lessons at a regular time each week for individual instruction as well as for group lessons. I also conduct all-studio lessons on Fridays about 5 times a year. There are also 5-6 recitals a year.
If your child is sick during the school year, please do not hesitate to cancel. This is in everyone’s best interest and the lesson can be rescheduled. Absense for other reasons is not refundable; however, you may trade times with any other student to make up for lost lessons. All of this information is included in my studio policy.
Group duos are suspended for the summer - except if you expressly request a summer duo - so that I can work with the children individually on their reading, theory, rhythm and solfa skills. Therefore in place of group duo, you receive 10 extra minutes. Sometimes I use the extra time to just chat with your child about how his summer is going. It is a very nice break from the more formalized lessons during the school year! More information about about summer is in my summer fees and fact sheet.
I offer many many opportunities for us to connect as a community of adults and children learning and appreciating music! For more information about these programs, which include reading club and student-to-student mentoring, please click here.